Thursday 23 June 2011

Happy Birthday

Wow!  Where has the week gone.  I feel like I've been in a bit of a fog lately and just haven't been able to motivate myself to do any stamping.  I finally got back to it this afternoon to create a birthday card for one of 2 important women in my life who have birthdays today.  My mother was the recipient of a card that I hand delivered to her last weekend.  It's a good thing that I've been seeing a lot of family lately because a lot of them have birthday's this week and wouldn't have gotten anything otherwise....thanks Canada Post for striking right when I need to send a lot of mail : /

I've decided to enter this card in this week's Monkey Challenge 61 over at A La Card Monkey.  This week's challenge was to create a "girly" card and while this may not be the "girliest" it's recipient is a strong woman of faith and character.  She has endured a lot in her 87 years but maintains her happy outlook on life and keeps her faith front and centre.  She is my husband's grandmother.   She has been a HUGE influence on my husband's life and now is becoming one in my son's too.  It's so special to see the relationship that is developing between greatgrandmother and greatgrandson.  He especially loves it when she sings to him!

Happy Birthday Grandma!

Fabulous Florets and butterflies...can it get any better?!
I have to admit that the colour combo comes from a challenge from last week (maybe from The Paper Players?) and the layout comes from both Stamping 411 and A La Card Monkey...but I've been so out of it that I missed the first two challenges : )  Oh well...I'm pleased with the result and I think she'll like it.  The colour combo is Melon Mambo, Daffodil Delight and Wild Wasabi.  I used the "Fabulous Florets" and "Messages for Mom" stamp sets for this one and the Beautiful Wings Embosslits die.

My peonies were beautiful about a week and a half ago and so when I saw the colour challenge I wanted to do something to reflect them.  So I started off by colouring my stamp with Melon Mambo for the outer petals and Daffodil Delight for the centre of the flowers (and that's as far as got that week).  For the leaves I stamped first in VersaMark ink and then heat embossed with Wild Wasabi embossing powder.  For background paper is used some from the Beyond the Garden DSP (so happy that this is being carried through into next year's catalogue!). 


Birthday close up
 I punched out the sentiment with the Modern Label punch and then added a matte first by punching out some Melon Mambo card stock with the Decorative Label punch, then cutting that in half and trimming the corners. 
Fabulous Floret close up
Finally, I used various butterflies in Daffodil Delight and Wild Wasabi to finish the card.  Stayed tuned for more birthday cards this week : )

Oh yes, here's the sketch for this week's Monkey Challenge.  Check out A La Card Monkey to see what others did.

3 comments:

  1. I think Grandma would love this! This is such a sweet and cheerful card. Love how you added the butterflies and layered them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card for a lovely woman! Your son is fortunate to have a great-grandma - especially one that sings. lol

    Thanks for taking part in our A La Card Monkey challenge this week.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet story! Love your card with the popped up flowers, so pretty, congratulations on being crowned a princess!! Lucianna
    A La Card Monkey GD

    ReplyDelete

Simple Rainbow Cards #2

 As I was cleaning up my stamping desk and moving things around some left over DSP scraps caught my eye.  I love the combination of the colo...